Ernest Brown & Phillips Ltd

 

 

 

 

 

    The Leicester Galleries, Leicester Square        
             
           
             
    During the 2nd World War the window glass was replaced with wooden boards to reduce the danger of broken glass during air raids. The panels were decorated with designs by Edward Bawden, John Tunnard and John Armstrong. Each year there was a different design. There was a small peephole behind which a painting was displayed.        
             
           
             
    Sketch by Eward Bawden for the 1940 window display.        
           
    The Leicester Galleries